The Motor Vessel "Once Around"

The Motor Vessel "Once Around"
The Motor Vessel "Once Around" in the Florida Keys

Monday, June 20, 2011

Road Trip!-Niagara Falls

My family knows that I am not much one for "road trips".  But, my first mate grew up in a family that thought a 300 mile journey was just a little jaunt.  After seven weeks on the boat my defenses were down and I agreed to take a rental car to Niagara Falls, some 150 miles away.  Actually, I could sense the Admiral persona lurking just below the surface of my first mate, so I doubt I really had much choice in the matter.

Anyway, I am glad we did it.  The falls were awesome and well worth the drive.



 


 
The Canada side.

Proof kids, I really was there!

We took back roads home (wow, Once Around has really become home), first along the south shore of Lake Ontario and then down into the middle of the "Finger Lakes" region of NY, which is one of the state's premier wine growing areas.  Both were beautiful.  In fact, it was hard to believe we were in the same state as New York City!  It was really green countryside and farms.  We even passed a couple of Amish communities, which gives you an idea of the remoteness of the area.  We ate at a nice little stop on Lake Cayuga, and toyed with the idea of staying there and doing some wine tasting on Sunday.  However, we finally decided we wanted to return to the boat and just vege on Father's Day.  Sorry, we didn't get any photos of upstate NY, you'll have to take my word for it's beauty.  However, the camera got a mind of its own and took the following shot, which I am sure I will catch hell for sharing.

 
Maybe explains why I didn't get any photos of anything outside the vehicle!  My bad!

This little beauty cruised by Brewerton while I was posting this.  Thought you would like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment