The Motor Vessel "Once Around"

The Motor Vessel "Once Around"
The Motor Vessel "Once Around" in the Florida Keys

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

Even after 20 years, I really miss my dad.  This Father's Day, being 3,000 miles from my kids and grandkids as well, I decided to focus my thoughts not on those two things, but on two dads I admire very much.

The first is Carrie's dad, Dick.  I am so thankful to him for what he gave his three girls.  They are independent yet family is important to them.  They love the outdoors and adventure.  And they have his great sense of humor. 

Here he is showing off his giant catch off on our boat at Catalina Island, CA last September
 
Since I have known him, Dick has been dean or president of several colleges, has moved around the country just because he wanted to have the experience, and has spent a couple of different years in Africa working at or with universities there.  We always referred to them as, "Carrie's gypsy parents".  He and Myrna did their first Africa stint when they were about my age, and being in my late 30's at the time, I could not understand their wanderlust.  Boy, do I get it now.  Dad has been a huge advocate of Carrie's and my dream to do the loop since he first learned of it.  He would have joined us for a segment by now, except his home sold and he is moving at the moment.  But, he will be joining us somewhere soon, I hope.  Happy Father's Day, Dad.

Another father I admire a lot is my son-in-law, Darrin.  I have watched him with my two grandkids now for almost seven years and couldn't hope for a better dad for them.  He is a hard worker and always working around their acreage with the kids in tow, "helping" in some small way.  They are not only getting to know their dad, but learning to work as well.   He also spends a lot of time with them playing, too.  They do a lot of motor-homing to both seashore and mountains.  Darrin loves the outdoors and at first chance has a fishing rod in his hands.  My grandson caught about 53 mackerel off our swim step last year and announced he no longer wanted to be a fireman, now he is going to be a fisherman.  My granddaughter is learning to love the outdoors also.  She loves to dress in pink dresses, but is a tomboy at heart so usually covered with dirt just as much as her brother!  Here are two of my favorite photos of my grandkids and their great dad.  Happy Father's Day, Son.



Do you think it is a coincidence that my favorite pictures of them involve boats?  Remember, Boating is Fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment