The Motor Vessel "Once Around"

The Motor Vessel "Once Around"
The Motor Vessel "Once Around" in the Florida Keys

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

East Coast-West Coast, What's In a Name?

I have flown back and forth from California to Florida more times in the last month since we bought the boat than I ever thought possible.  My jet lag is jet lagged.  I wake up in the middle of the night and am at a loss as to where I am.  (Carrie would probably say tell you that this is my normal condition, but it's not usually this bad!).  At least twice today I heard workers referring to the "west coast" or "east coast".  It took me a while to realize they were talking about each side of Florida, not the 3,000 miles over which I had been bouncing to and fro!  East coast, west coast, my butt!  Maybe I am losing it...

Speaking of my First Mate, she bailed out on accompanying me on this trip, purportedly because her broken toe is too sore to participate in the chores planned for this week.  While that is true, she is the one losing it if she thinks I do not know that the real reason she stayed at home was her BUNKO group's meeting on this coming Thursday.  Her BUNKO group is akin to my RAT group in that the ladies have become very good friends over the years, and this will be her goodbye to them for a year.  I don't know what the big deal is, instead of all that stimulating business stuff we RATs talk about, they talk about "girl stuff"...yech!   However, there are two things I have learned not have an opinion about, Yoga and BUNKO.  Well, there are probably more things than that if I really was honest...

Lucky for me my son Leo (22, 6'-4" and strong as hell) was happy to fill in for his mom.  He and I travelled out here to supervise the work in the boatyard, aka, continually authorize additional spending (hey, I could run for congress) and to unload the container full of equipment (and our dinghy) which we had shipped from the shop last week. After a hard day's work our stuff is now in a different container at the boatyard.  That is due to the fact that we cannot really get it on the boat, because the workers are swarming over, under and around every part of it.  In addition to the crew begining to install the dinghy lift, today there were two electricians installing an inverter and thruster wiring, another two guys working on the shafts and seals, two more mechanics working on miscellaneous items and at least two guys outside working on paint repair and buffing out the hull.  Once Around is being babied and dolled up.

Meanwhile, Leo and I are enjoying the Florida sunshine.  Of course, BUNKO is Thursday night, so Friday the Admiral is hopping a plane to join us, aka, make sure when we move our stuff from the container to the boat this weekend we put everything in exactly the right place.  Well, I guess that's better than doing it twice, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment