The Motor Vessel "Once Around"

The Motor Vessel "Once Around"
The Motor Vessel "Once Around" in the Florida Keys

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Admiral's Blog: Stardate 11-11-11

OK, it's my (Carrie's) turn to post on the blog. 
In our family, we have always joked about everyone needing a planned backup job, just in case things got really tough.  Dina (our business executive) says she would attend the truck driving academy so she could drive big rigs; Carla (our teacher) says she would do acrylic nails; and Leo (our electrician) wants to run the camera up sewer pipes for the company that repairs sewage blockages.  Well, after 27 years, I believe I have finally found the one for Frank.
Frank alluded to our hectic experience anchoring when we reached the Alabama River Cutoff.  It took four tries, and since we weren't wearing the “marriage saver” headphones, a bit of hollering.   Even after we had set both the bow and stern anchors well, we were too close to shore (in my opinion, and I’m the Admiral).  With even minor wind gusts, I felt that the starboard side of Once Around was inching too close to the creek’s edge.  Oh well, if the Capitan thought it was secure, I guess I did, too. 
This is the rail of our boat and the edge of the river!
But, by the next morning, after hardly sleeping, and the first couple of boats left the gunkhole (common term for anchorages), I was just getting ready to ask the Captain if he would lift our anchors and move the boat over so we would be able to sleep the second night.  But Frank proceeded to get busy.
As the first boat turned the corner into the anchorage, I was happy to see Frank greeting them.  He informed them of depths, warned them about the stump in the center of the waterway, told them about anchor sites and even offered, “Would you like some help setting your stern anchor?”  How nice, I thought. 
Bavarian Cream and Joysea in the Alabama River Cut,
anchored directly behind Once Around.
“Oh, Care, you have to come with.  I can’t drive the dinghy and do the anchor, too.  You’ll need to help set their stern anchor.”  Really?  Just yesterday we had trouble, and today you are offering aid?  OK.  Off we went and set the stern anchor exactly where the first experienced captain said.  Whew.  That wasn’t so bad, but it was heavy and darn near gave me a boat bite.
Well, about the time I was ready to ask again to move Once Around, two more boats came on the radio asking us about the anchorage.  So, one at a time, we led them in, showed them where to go (Frank just seemed to know where they would be secure), and I had an additional near miss setting their stern anchors.  Boat bite two averted.  The boaters were extremely grateful for the help.  A couple of them asked for advice, and Frank gave it to them, laughing as he told them that if they had seen him botch the process yesterday with our own boat he would probably be the last one they asked for advice!  Still, he made the process easy for these other Loopers, and they appreciated the help.
Lunch anyone?  It’s  2:30 and I’m kinda hungry.  Hello.  I had just start cooking something when another set of boats arrived.  Out goes the new Harbor Host to guide them in.  (And, of course, me to set the stern anchors.)
Out on his dinghy, talking, directing, leading, even pushing one boat that had lost its bow thruster, arranging cocktails (including taxi service in the dinghy) with two of the boats, was my usually very reserved husband.  And, he was having a ball.  This is it.  I’ve found his new backup job!   He could be a harbor master in an anchorage.  Better yet, in a mooring field where he wouldn’t need me to help!  He doesn’t even need to get paid…if he’s in a boat (even his dinghy) he’s happy.
The "Harbor Host" in his dinghy, about to guide a sailboat into the anchorage.
After everyone else was settled in nice and snug, we did finally move Once Around away from the river’s edge by moving the bow anchor over about twenty feet.  And we even had lunch about 3:30 PM.  My boat bite damage for the day included two bruises and a small diamond missing from my ring. I officially baptized four brand new stern anchors.  We also slept like logs. 
 But, the Alabama River Cutoff had a Harbor Host for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment